Sunday, August 29, 2010

A common story....

Okay, what happened to this guy is sad, I admit. http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/08/29/cab.driver.attacked/?hpt=T2

He was minding his own business, just doing his job, when he was attacked for no reason other than being a Muslim. I feel for him, I really do.

Now, however, I'm supposed to feel sorry for the fact that he's unable to work, has no income, and isn't sure he'll be able to pay medical bills, etc. I'm not able to do this. I have to draw the line. There are hundreds of thousands of Americans all across this country in very similar situations: unable to work through no fault of their own, no income or very little income, not sure what they're going to do next, no money for medical bills, etc. Supporters of this cab driver are wondering why so little money has been raised to help him. Could it be that his supporters are broke also?

If I had money to spare, sure I'd contribute. There are many charities I'd donate to if I had money. When I can't afford any savings, can't afford groceries or fuel to look for a job, I can't justify putting someone else ahead of my own family. Charity begins at home. Maybe his wife can find a job while he's recovering, instead of just begging for more money?

No comments: